We take ourselves off down to the South West quite regularly, we are very familiar with the Margaret River region with its beautiful beaches and outstanding wineries. On this trip however we have decided to take the path less travelled and discover some new places and towns that we have in the past bypassed in our haste to get to our final destination.
Our first stop is Collie. Only 2 1/2 hours from Perth, Collie is a regular weekend jaunt for many Perthites and after visiting I can understand why. If you are a person who loves the outdoors, then Collie has so much to do. The Wellington Dam and national forest is a great place to start, there are lots of picnic spots and even campgrounds at Honeymoon Pool, Stockton Pool and Potters Gorge. If you are into hiking, there are lots of trails through the Wellington National Forest, or you can even join the Bibbulmun track that runs though Collie.
We took a drive to see the coal mining pit on the outskirts of Collie, the sheer size of the mine is incredible, and a good place to get a great view is from the “Big Shovel” an electric coal shovel that has been installed alongside the road where you can get an idea of the scale of the whole operation.
The original railway station building has been rebuilt and found new life as a cafe with a display of railway memorabilia. If you are a train and railway buff, there are volunteers who are happy to show you around whilst telling you the history of the railway station.
The Coalfields Museum is a must visit, there is so much to see we spent a couple of hours winding our way through the different displays. The museum houses a vast collection, showcasing not only the mining industry but also vintage vehicles, antique furniture and historic local photos showing Collies’ heritage.
All in all, Collie is a great town for a weekend away out of the city.
- Perth Caravan and Camping Show 2019 - March 21, 2019
- Pinjarra Bakery and Patisserie, Waroona - March 12, 2019
- Botanica Bar and Bistro, Innaloo - March 12, 2019
- The Federal Hotel, Collie - March 12, 2019
- Collie River Valley Tourist Park - March 12, 2019
- Collie - March 12, 2019
- Fonty’s Pool, Chalets and Caravan Park, Manjimup - March 12, 2019
- Southern Roasting Co. Manjimup - March 12, 2019
- Alliance Francaise French Film Festival 2019 - February 27, 2019
- Woodvale Fish and Lily Farm - February 26, 2019