Found at the city end of Albany Highway, Hampton and Maley, is a welcoming café with a gourmet twist. You may have heard of a fine dining spot called Restaurant Amuse. The East Perth spot closed down some years ago, but it’s celebrated Head Chef/Owner Hadleigh Troy has now set up shop in a more casual café.
We were greeted on arrival and invited to choose a table. The first was a little chilly (from the breeze wafting in the open café), but the second spot was tucked around a wall and much more comfortable. There is seating outside (dogs are welcome here) and a couple of bar stool options at the window too. The waitress promptly brought us menus and water for the table.
We ordered coffee and some tasty sounding dishes from the all day brunch style menu. Hampton and Maley Victoria Park are licensed so beers, wine, spirits and cider are also on offer.
In no time, our food arrived and we couldn’t wait to tuck in! My husband loved the pumpkin spiced with fermented chilli ($18.50). This dish was served on toasted sourdough with baba ghanoush (eggplant dip), tabbouleh, radicchio and fresh herbs. He also added two poached eggs for an extra $4, which really made the dish.
I equally loved the smoked ocean trout ($24). The trout is smoked in house with tea tree wood and served on crisp potato rosti with horseradish gribiche, beetroot puree and green leaves. I was also tempted to add poached eggs, but decided to keep it on the light side.
If you pop by for a cuppa and a snack, there are freshly made cakes, pastries, raw treats and sausages rolls on offer in the display cabinet.
Hampton & Maley is a friendly and casual café, that has plenty of class. The prices are on the higher end for brunch, but well worth it. Open 7 days, for breakfast and lunch.
Hampton and Maley, Victoria Park – The Details
Find: 59 Albany Hwy, Victoria Park (Opposite the Victoria Park bus station).
Parking: Paid parking at the front of the cafe is free on weekends. Weekdays there is two-hour free parking under the building.
- Pere Bakery, Gooseberry Hill - September 15, 2019
- S&R Orchard Saku Blossom Festival, Walliston - September 13, 2019
- Dome Café, Deep Water Point Reserve Mount Pleasant - September 13, 2019
- Holly Raye’s, Bassendean - September 12, 2019
- Araluen Botanical Park, Roleystone - September 10, 2019
- Garden Affair, South Perth - September 5, 2019
- Old Perth Road Markets, Bassendean - August 31, 2019
- The Boatshed Café, South Perth - August 31, 2019
- Dome Cafe, Bassendean - August 29, 2019
- Senior Park at Neil McDougall Park, Como - August 29, 2019