You may know Hotel Rottnest as “The Quokka Arms” – is has long been a favourite watering hole on the holiday Island for many, many years. Found at the main settlement of Thompson Bay, the hotel is the former summer residence for WA Governors, built in the 1800s. In more recent years, the colonial building has been restored. You can sit inside near the modern bar or find a table in the shady beer garden, overlooking the beach.
The seasonal lunch and dinner menu is full of pub favourites made with WA produce. It offers something for everyone, be it a snack, share food, or a more substantial meal. Orders are placed at the bar. The drinks list has plenty of choice, whatever your favourite tipple. It is a pub at the end of the day, though we find the prices a little expensive than your average tavern, but put that down to the hotel’s remote location.
Our group enjoyed a share plate to nibble on which included tasty morsels like romano salami, cured pork loin, aged serrano, ashed goats cheese, vintage cheddar, creamy brie, crusty sourdough sticks, pickles and honeycomb.
Next, huge, freshly steamed Exmouth prawns with chopped herbs, lemon were served with crusty bread.
The Arkady lamb shoulder, braised for six hours, was delicious. Served with caviar lentils, golden shallots, black cabbage and shitake butter.
Another tasty dish is the WA Cone Bay Barramundi fillet. Perfectly cooked and served with charred cauliflower, roasted pistachios and green raisins.
Hotel Rottnest also offers accommodation, if you’d like to stay a little longer to explore the historical Island. It sure is a stunning location to finish up a day-trip to the island too, overlooking the white sands of scenic Thomson’s Bay.
Address: 1 Bedford Ave, Rottnest Island
Phone: 9292 5011
Access: Mainly flat areas, with disabled toilet.
Find more places to dine in Perth here.
- Sittella Winery, Herne Hill - February 18, 2019
- Mount Helena Tavern, Mount Helena - February 18, 2019
- Kapitol Kitchen, Wanneroo - February 15, 2019
- Mount Flora Regional Museum, Watermans Bay - February 15, 2019
- Bump In Burger, Woodvale - February 13, 2019
- Zephyr Café, East Fremantle - February 10, 2019
- Cup and Co, Innaloo - February 6, 2019
- The Little Bay, Watermans Bay - February 5, 2019
- Epicurean, Crown Perth - February 5, 2019
- Mistelle at Hainault Vineyard, Bickley Valley - February 4, 2019