Based on the true story of the 2015 Hatton Garden heist, the movie “The King of Thieves” is a good old fashioned caper.
The real burglary was committed by a gang of ex-cons aged in their 60s and 70s; and so, who better to cast as the elderly gang than screen legends Michael Caine, Jim Broadbent, Tom Courtenay, Michael Gambon and Ray Winston.
The film starts as ex-jewel thief Brian Reader promises his ailing wife that he will stay on the right side of the law after her death. Unfortunately, that proves too difficult for him when he is approached at his wife’s funeral by a younger crook who happens to mention that he has acquired the key to a bank vault in Hatton Garden. And so begins the biggest jewellery heist in English history. The story follows Reader as he enlists the help of some of his cronies, and the planning and execution of the burglary commences, along with a few setbacks. Unlike the usual tendency to show fast-paced action and nerve-jangling suspense, this movie focuses more on the relationships between the men, that start to break down as the burglary progresses and the trust between them is put to the test.
In my personal opinion, nobody can do humour as well as the British, this was borne out by the fact that there was lots of laughter and giggling coming from the entire audience. The banter between the characters smacks of familiarity; and burglary aside, their main concerns seem to be their ageing bodies and their ailments; diabetes, knee replacements, incontinence and hearing loss.
This is an entertaining and fun movie to while away a couple of hours, just as long as you’re not expecting “Die Hard”.
- Volvo Scandinavian Film Festival 2019 - July 12, 2019
- Tolkien, Movie Review - June 13, 2019
- Wild Rose Movie Review - June 13, 2019
- German Film Festival 2019 - May 24, 2019
- DFO Shopping Centre, Perth Airport - May 16, 2019
- Poms, Movie Review - May 16, 2019
- Silver Swans Adult Ballet, Karrinyup - May 16, 2019
- The Duyfken at AQWA, Hillarys - May 3, 2019
- The Chaperone – Film Review - May 3, 2019
- Big 4 Ocean Beach Holiday Park, Denmark - April 19, 2019