Two West Australian women are passionate about their own small business and equally as keen on helping other small businesses do well while still being able to spend time with their families.
Michelle and Lisa started the Ladies Night Market in 2014, debuting in Currambine and it has evolved into the very successful MiLi Markets, showcasing handcrafts, cards and jewellery among other items.
We went to have a look at the Sorrento Quay MiLi Market which is a two-day event, held on the last weekend of every month. With more than 60 stalls and Christmas fast approaching, it was obvious that these small businesses are enjoying being part of the Market and judging by the amount of people browsing and buying – the Market is a also big hit with locals and visitors.
Some quokka Christmas cards – the photos on the front were taken by the business owner went into the reusable bag that we had just bought from another stall and were quickly followed by a unique four-can beer holder – we picked a Silver Fern logo but there are numerous country and AFL themes to choose from.
Lots of WA made items were on offer from aromatherapy to homewares, clothes, health and beauty products and rag-doll style chickens – there are many quirky and individual items up for grabs. Food and drinks are also available including some fabulous cakes and local honey.
Stallholders are happy to chat and talk to customers about the origin of their businesses – it seems like a very personal way to shop and perhaps a throwback to the days before self-service checkouts!
A children’s bouncy area and slide was set up to keep the little ones amused as well.
MiLi pop-up markets operate in many Perth areas including Wanneroo, Joondalup, Whiteman Park, Bunbury and Margaret River.
The next MiLi Market at Sorrento Quay will be on November 23-24 from 9am to 5pm.
- Old Wild West, Hillarys - November 1, 2019
- Topolinis Caffe, Warwick - November 1, 2019
- MiLi Markets - November 1, 2019
- Pop-up Globe Theatre Perth – Hamlet - October 11, 2019
- Francois Peron National Park, Shark Bay - October 7, 2019
- The Carine Glades Tavern - October 7, 2019
- Perfect Nature Cruises, Monkey Mia - October 7, 2019
- Dongara-Port Denison Big 4 Beach Holiday Park - October 7, 2019
- Perth Rugby World Cup Village, Scarborough - October 7, 2019
- The Dolphin Experience, Monkey Mia - October 7, 2019