I love bookshops, I can spend hours browsing the shelves finding new and interesting additions to my already groaning bookcase. Thankfully, I know that there are lots of other people like me, otherwise, I’m sure that by now I would have been charged with loitering.
Whilst on holiday in Albany I managed to lose myself in The Paperbark Merchants, an independently owned book and gift store on York Street. More than just a book store; the shop also sells magazines, which is something that I have never personally come across before.
There is also an eclectic selection of giftware throughout the store, from trinkets to leather bags, puzzles and games, and one area is given over to vinyl records and record players, and if you are buying a gift you can also pick up a card to go with it and choose from a lovely selection of vintage style wrapping paper.
The large store has an extensive selection of reading matter; ranging from the latest releases and popular writers to special interest titles. Finding what you are looking for is made easy by the big signs over each section.
There is a good children’s section at the rear of the store, filled with all of the kids favourite books and also some alternative titles to give them something new to try; one of the books that caught my eye was a graphic adaptation of Anne Frank’s Diary, which I thought was a good way to interest children in reading about history.
Another string to the store’s bow is that they also sell tickets to local events and productions, so really, in fact, it is so much more than a bookshop.
Address: 204 York Street, Albany
PH: 9842 8044
Hours: Monday-Wednesday 6.30am – 6.00pm
Thursday 6.30am – 8.00pm
Friday & Saturday 6.30am – 6.00pm
Sunday 7.00am – 5.00pm
Email: [email protected]
- Volvo Scandinavian Film Festival 2019 - July 12, 2019
- Tolkien, Movie Review - June 13, 2019
- Wild Rose Movie Review - June 13, 2019
- German Film Festival 2019 - May 24, 2019
- DFO Shopping Centre, Perth Airport - May 16, 2019
- Poms, Movie Review - May 16, 2019
- Silver Swans Adult Ballet, Karrinyup - May 16, 2019
- The Duyfken at AQWA, Hillarys - May 3, 2019
- The Chaperone – Film Review - May 3, 2019
- Big 4 Ocean Beach Holiday Park, Denmark - April 19, 2019