Love to go for a Sunday drive? The Zig Zag Scenic Drive, in Gooseberry Hill, is a very narrow and winding road. In the shape of a zig zag, it was once the route travelled by steam trains, carrying timber gradually down the escarpment, from Canning Mills to the Midland Junction. The train tracks were dismantled in 1949, but you can still visit the Kalamunda Train Station and an old locomotive that sits proudly at the platform at the Kalamunda History Museum.
The beginning of the Zig Zag is at the top of the hill, on Lascelles Parade in Gooseberry Hill. With only enough room for the width of one car, it is a one way road. The narrow road takes you between rock faces, around hairpin turns and along the edge of steep falls right on the roadside. It’s not for the faint-hearted!
There are four tight corners on the three kilometre road. On each bend, there is a large gravelled area, where it’s possible to park up and take some photos. During Spring the Zig Zag is a mass with beautiful wildflowers.
The annual “Walk the Zig Zag” event is very popular, giving people an opportunity to walk along the 3km route whilst enjoying entertainment, activities and stalls along the road. People can walk down the hill during the year, as traffic is generally low and travel quite slow, but please note that there’s not much room on the side of the road.
After meandering down the Darling Escarpment you arrive on Ridge Hill Road at the bottom of the hill near Helena Valley and Maida Vale. Drive towards Maida Vale and you’ll soon come to the excellent Zanthora Nurseries garden centre.
The Zig Zag scenic drive is a great spot day or night. On a clear day you can see the city and most of the Perth metropolitan area, later on you may even spot a kangaroo and in the evening you can enjoy a stunning sunset or the twinkling city lights. The Zig Zag is a lot of fun whether you’re the driver or a passenger!
- The Seniorocity Guide to Hillarys Boat Harbour - February 26, 2020
- Food Box Delivery Services in Perth - February 26, 2020
- Lot One Kitchen, Hillarys - February 19, 2020
- Flinderz Cafe, Hillarys - February 19, 2020
- il Lido, Cottesloe - February 15, 2020
- Channel 7 Mandurah Crab Fest - February 14, 2020
- Seniorocity’s Guide to Scarborough - February 14, 2020
- Monty’s, Scarborough - February 11, 2020
- Wild Fig, Scarborough - February 11, 2020
- The Seniorocity Guide to Cowaramup - February 5, 2020